As an active person, if anyone, I should know the importance of staying hydrated right? Well, whether I know the importance or not, I have a really hard time taking in the amount of fluid/water that I’m supposed to drink every day. It’s bad. Really bad. How bad? Well, I will go an entire day on a cup of coffee being the only fluid intake, and of course… that works against me. I can only imagine what I’m doing to body, especially on the days where I run and don’t even drink a glass of water after.
It’s not that I want to be this bad to my body, I just really have a hard time drinking what I’m supposed to drink. Even on a day where I’m really conscious and make a really huge effort to drink the recommended 8 glasses a day, I’m lucky if I make it to 3 or 4. I think the biggest part of the problem is that like anything else in my life, without being part of my routine it really just gets forgotten. I’ve tried in the past to put a bottle of water on my desk at work and sip throughout the day, but I just end up holding on to the bottle and at the end of the workday, it’s still sitting there untouched. My brain just doesn’t think about it.
Well, that needs to change. I realize that this is not a good habit and it hasn’t been for years. Right now, I’m working on ways to make sure I get what my body needs and I’m being strict and it seems to be helping. So, for anyone else who knows they aren’t drinking enough, because I can’t be the only person on earth who isn’t well hydrated – here are a few ways I’m making myself drink:
- First thing in the morning, I make it a point to drink 3 glasses of water as soon as I get downstairs to the tap.
- If I don’t drink those 3 glasses of water. I don’t get coffee. I love coffee, so I’ve been drinking the 3 glasses of water.
- At work, I must drink at least another 3 glasses of water during the day. 4 on days that I run. – I haven’t figured out my punishment for not doing this yet.
- I keep a water bottle by the bed at night, and I want to see that bottle empty before bed. This isn’t the greatest idea as I wake up with a really full bladder sometimes really early in the morning, but drinking the bottle of water at night gets me to drink it, so I keep going with it.
- I drink hot water. What? Gross! Well, for some reason, it works to get me to drink it, so who cares about the temperature? That’s right! I boil the water, then drink plain water like it’s tea. At some point, I will find a caffeine-free herbal tea solution that I like and I’m sure that will help, but for now, drinking hot water works… and it gives me a little break at work when I go boil the kettle.
- I drink watered down juice sometimes at home.
Well, that’s about all I’ve got so far. If anyone else has any tips on how they stay hydrated, or at least drink what you’re supposed to drink in a day, I’m all ears, because I really really need to stay on top of this.